Language Lessons for a Living Education 5
Language Lessons for a Living Education Level 5 will help guide your student toward mastery of reading, grammar, and vocabulary, as well as the mechanics of communication and writing. Utilizing observation and reading comprehension through poems, stories, and real books as the foundation, your student will continue to build paragraph writing skills.
The course is a story-based approach, using Charlotte Mason ideas for the modern homeschool student with character-building themes. Each quarter has five stories, two picture studies (one of which is biblically-based), and two poems (one of which is a proverb). Using the spelling words and the Dictionary Worksheets, the student will create his or her very own dictionary as he or she moves week by week through the material.
A helpful and detailed daily schedule:
- DAY 1: Focus on a short story, poem, picture study, select Bible verses
- DAY 2 & 3: Writing topics such as grammar and punctuation
- DAY 4: Reading from 101 Favorite Stories of the Bible, Scripture copywork and memorization
- DAY 5: Creating your own dictionary with a focus on spelling and vocabulary
Level 5 incorporates picture study, memorization, grammar and punctuation, spelling and vocabulary, observation, and application through the student creating his or her own stories through pictures, sentences, paragraphs, poems, proverbs, and letters. This course also develops reading and narration skills. Writing stamina is built up gradually. By the end of the course, the student should be able to comfortably write various types of paragraphs.
Within the course, students will:
- Understand the interactions of the eight parts of speech
- Master state of being verbs, action verbs, and possessive nouns
- Be introduced to different types of conjunctions, compound sentences, and clauses
- Identify syllables and practice spelling rules
- Identify abbreviations, proper use of punctuation marks, spelling, root words, compound words, and suffixes
- Learn to create well-written paragraphs based on structure and comprehension
- Develop proficiency in the structure of book reports
- Develop skills in using the dictionary and a thesaurus for spelling and vocabulary building
- Explore the Scripture, parts of letter writing, and more!
This course is designed to foster a partnership between student and teacher, with the student gradually taking a lead role. Allowing the student’s growing abilities, stamina, and interests to set the pace will allow his or her confidence to strengthen. This confidence is the key that will help unlock communication success.
Scope and sequence, a daily course calendar, and additional learning resources including independent reading lists, spelling words, practice sheets and more are included to help your student master basic concepts. Reviews are also incorporated throughout the course to help them understand and apply what they learn.
486 Pages, Paperback