Raising Them Up
The parenting book you weren't looking for ... and the one you need the most
Most parents want a book that will “fix their child” in three easy steps, in 30 days or less. While understandable, this expectation will never work. The problem lies far more with us, the parents, than it does with our child. If we don’t understand that truth, we will only remain frustrated and disappointed with our child. The far greater need is to fundamentally change our own hearts and minds as parents. As a principle, that simply MUST happen before any change will come for our youth.
Christian parents may know a lot of Bible verses, yet don’t have a Biblical theology of parenting. Here’s the big picture: parenting is discipleship.
Your child is learning from you. You are the teacher. Far more is caught than taught in parenting. Children listen to what you say, but they watch how you live. When you are slack in dealing with character issues in your own life, it short circuits your ability to effectively reach your child’s heart. In Raising Them Up, you will discover:
- A heart check for parents
- The world of “techno-parenting”
- How to teach purity
- Helping the difficult child
- Parenting by grace
- Home-based apologetics and more!
It’s not about gimmicks…it’s about God – His inspired, inerrant, infallible, timeless truths.
There are lots of other books out there that will teach you how to count to three, hold your breath, snap your wrist with a rubber band, and hand out stickers as a way to change your rebellious child. With enough tips, tricks, and methods, perhaps you can learn the perfect approach to timeouts or some magic cure that will solve bickering, sibling rivalry, laziness, back-talking, media addiction, lying, stealing, bad attitudes, apathy, angry outbursts, rebellion, inattention, or any other number of “fruits” that annoy, inconvenience, and embarrass us.
But if you care enough to risk having to make changes in your own way of thinking and living, then let’s walk together on this path of learning to powerfully and prayerfully parent our children after the ways of God.
Table of Contents
- 1. Losing a Generation
- 2. The Battle for the Family
- 3. Techno-Parenting
- 4. Teaching Your Children About Purity
- 5. The Power of Influence
- 6. Apologetics Begins at Home
- 7. The Seven-Year Teaching Method
- 8. How I Taught My Children to Sit Still and Be Quiet
- 9. Heart Check for Parents
- 10. Be the Parent
- 11. Child Discipline
- 12. Gospel-Centered Parenting
- 13. Will a Trained Child Depart?
- 14. Why Some Children Leave the Faith
- 15. The Perfect Family Syndrome
- 16. Helping the Difficult Child
- 17. Serious Fun
- 18. Hospitality: It’s Not Just for Women Anymore
- 19. Living on One Income (Brook)
- 20. Allowance — What Should Parents Do?
- 21. Passing the Baton — Teens/Young Adults
- 22. Parenting by Grace
- About the Authors
By Israel Wayne